Aldi today announced it is creating up to 32 new jobs in County Wexford in 2022. This follows the announcement that Aldi is seeking to recruit and train 600 new store employees throughout 2022, to support its ongoing growth and expansion in Ireland.
Aldi will increase its hourly pay rates for store colleagues from 1st February 2022 maintaining its position as Ireland’s best paying supermarket. Store Assistants will earn up to a market leading €14.90 an hour, while its entry rate of pay will be €12.90 an hour, matching the Living Wage Technical Group’s recommended Living Wage rate.
Employment opportunities are available at Store Assistant, Assistant Store Manager and Store Manager levels across the country. All new recruits will receive full training from experienced store teams.
Aldi currently employs more than 4,650 people across its 149 Irish stores, with seven existing stores in Co. Wexford including Bunclody, Enniscorthy, Goreybridge, New Ross, and Newtown Rd, Trinity St and Wexford Retail Park in Wexford Town.
Since 2014, Wexford stores have donated over 58,000 meals to local charities through FoodCloud, saving local charities almost €74,000.
Niall O’Connor, Aldi Group Managing Director said: “We are delighted to create 32 new roles to join the store teams in County Wexford. We are looking forward to hiring new members for our team to provide an even better in-store experience for our customers.”
For further details on all opportunities with Aldi Ireland, please check out Aldi Recruitment IE.
Revenue officers examining parcels at two premises in Dublin seized illegal drugs worth over €330,000 including 15.5kgs of herbal cannabis and 5,528 Zopiclone tablets as well as small quantities of CMC crystals, hash cakes, butane honey oil, cannabis resin, cannabis oil and LSD tablets.
The illegal drugs were discovered with the assistance of detector dogs Bailey and Sam, concealed in parcels that originated in the United States, Canada, Spain, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
The parcels were labelled as items such as ‘tea’, ‘Christmas gifts’, ‘coffee beans’, ‘textiles’ and ‘food stuffs’ and were destined for addresses in counties Dublin, Louth, Kildare, Cork, Kerry, Wexford and Tipperary.
Investigations are ongoing.
These seizures are part of Revenue’s ongoing operations targeting the importation of illegal drugs. If businesses or members of the public have any information regarding smuggling, they can contact Revenue in confidence on Confidential Phone Number 1800 295 295.
Wexford County Council is to hold a Special Meeting on Friday where members will have consideration of the Report of the Investigation by the Standards in Public Office Commission (SIPO) of Alleged Contraventions of the Ethics in Public Office Act 1995 and 2001 and Part 15 of the Local Government Act 2001 and Mr. Tom Enright, Chief Executive, Wexford County Council.
CLLR BARBARA-ANNE MURPHY, CATHAOIRLEACH
The issue in relation to Mr Enright was on the agenda at today’s monthly meeting of the Council, held with Microsoft Teams, following a public hearing last November after a complaint made by Wexford businessman Mr Karl Fitzpatrick to the SIPO and a report issued last Friday by the Commission.
Cathaoirleach, Cllr Barbara-Anne Murphy, said she had obtained independent legal advice in relation to the matter, and, in keeping with this advice which had been made available to members, she intended to defer discussion of the issue to a Special Council meeting on Friday. Cllr Murphy added that the adjournment would allow more time for members to consider the report which is over 300 pages and copies of the report has been circulated to all members.
The new date was proposed by Cllr Garry Laffan and seconded by Cllr Maura Bell. This was agreed by members with Cllrs Michael Whelan and Ger Carthy asking for the meeting to be held “in person” and not online.
County Secretary David Minogue confirmed that this should be possible under current regulations on meetings.
Mr Karl Fitzpatrick who was a complainant in a case against the Chief Executive Officer of Wexford County Council, Mr Tom Enright, in a statement dated Friday, 7th January 2022, has welcomed the decision by the Standards in Public Office Commission (SIPO) to uphold the complaint.
Mr Fitzpatrick said; “I took this complaint to ensure that nobody else would be subjected to this treatment by Mr. Enright. While I attempted to have this matter resolved locally, I encountered significant barriers and I was left with no option but to report this behaviour directly to SIPO. I am pleased that the Commission has found that my complaint was warranted.
“SIPO is an independent statutory body, chaired by a former High Court Judge, whose remit is to investigate and make findings in relation to issues of significant public importance concerning public officials. Today, (Friday), SIPO published its Investigation Report and has found that Mr Enright contravened the Local Government Act in a number of respects.
WEXFORD COUNTY COUNCIL Headquarters
In making these findings SIPO repeatedly referenced:
the seriousness of Mr Enright’s actions;
the recklessness of Mr Enright’s behaviour;
that Mr Enright did not act in good faith;
and, that Mr Enright had brought the position of Chief Executive and Wexford County Council into disrepute.
“In criticising Mr Enright’s treatment of South East Radio, SIPO stated that Mr Enright misused the Council’s position as the station’s primary advertiser, in effect ‘throwing around the weight’ of the Council’s purse.”
“The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) issued a compliance notice to South East Radio in relation to the station’s inadvertent failure to record their Morning Mix show on 6 March 2019 due to a technical error, which was accepted at that time by Mr Enright. However, the BAI dismissed a separate wide ranging complaint made by Wexford County Council against South East Radio which was in part linked to a programme I present. The BAI has stated that they now consider this matter closed,” concluded Mr Fitzpatrick.
The Chief Executive of Wexford County Council, Mr Tom Enright has responded to The Standards in Public Office Commission (SIPO) following the publication of a report of the result of its investigation into a complaint made against him by Karl Fitzpatrick who is a presenter on South East Radio.
The Commission has found that in sending two emails to South East Radio on 29th and 30th August 2019, Mr Enright failed to maintain proper standards of integrity, conduct and concern for the public interest and breached the Code of Conduct for Local Authority Employees.
In a statement issued on Friday Mr Enright stated; “I am extremely disappointed with the Commission’s findings which, in my view, are flawed, and disproportionate. Accordingly, I am currently exploring all available options including legal options and am consulting with my legal advisers in that regard.
TOM ENRIGHT, Chief Executive Officer Wexford County Council.
“To be clear, my sole motivation in the engagement with South East Radio was to get fair recognition for the hard work of Councillors, Council staff and others in attracting new business and employment to Wexford. That will continue to be my focus. I can categorically state that I acted at all times in good faith and in the interest of Wexford County Council.
“I believe the findings have far reaching implications for all Senior Local Government officials when it comes to the need to protect the interests of a Public Authority by dealing robustly with service providers who have breached statutory regulations or are providing a poor service.
“I sent these two e-mails to South East Radio, which are recounted in and the subject of the SIPO report, as I had been made aware of deliberate actions by a presenter on South East Radio against the Council and what I believed were breaches by South East Radio of the Broadcasting Act and South East Radio’s broadcasting contract with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. It can be seen clearly from the e-mails that I did not seek favourable treatment for either Wexford County Council or myself by South East Radio. I only sought fairness for the Council.
“The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland later confirmed that South East Radio had indeed breached the Broadcasting Act and as a result it issued a Compliance Notice to South East Radio.
“It should be noted that shortly after receipt of these e-mails South East Radio gave an undertaking to thoroughly investigate the concerns of the Council. As a result of that undertaking, the Council did not cease or diminish its commercial arrangements with South East Radio and continues to advertise with the radio station,” concluded Mr Enright.
The SIPO Report has been forwarded to the Cathaoirleach of Wexford County Council for consideration by the Council in accordance with the relevant legislation. The January meeting of Wexford County Council takes place tomorrow (Monday) with Microsoft Teams.
This new photograph taken to display the changing landscape around Enniscorthy combines the past and present and the new Business Hub emerging alongside the mid-19th century brickwork and turrets of the disused St. Senan’s Hospital.
On August 3rd 2018 the first sod was turned at Enniscorthy Business and Technology Park which is a €2.5 million project to be built beside the River Slaney on a 35-acre site at Killagoley on what was once part of the farm land for St. Senan’s Hospital. Speaking on that occasion the then Chairman of Wexford County Council, Cllr Keith Doyle said; “The Technology Park has the potential to bring hundreds of jobs to Enniscorthy and will be the key to economic revitalisation of Enniscorthy town.”
ENNISCORTHY January 2022.
The steel arrived and the new building is progressing well. And also in the picture the Rosslare Harbour to Dublin train arrives at Enniscorthy. The railway needs support too, no point in crying crocodile tears if Irish Rail were to sideline Enniscorthy at any time in the future!
Public representatives from the Rosslare District were voiciferous at this week’s Special Meeting of Wexford County Council, held via Microsoft Teams, in relation to Christmas Day flooding in south Wexford and calls were made to meet with Office of Public Works and concerns were expressed about protection of the low-lying flood plains in the area and action on a drainage programme.
Cllr Lisa McDonald put forward a successful motion (seconded by Cllr Jim Codd); “Calling upon Wexford County Council to amend their flood plan immediately to include a new flood response plan for three villages in the Rosslare District; Bridgetown, Wellingtonbridge and Duncormick.”
“I was glad that my motion was passed at yesterday’s meeting”, Cllr. McDonald said, “It called upon Wexford County Council to amend their flood plan immediately to include a new flood response plan for three villages in the Rosslare District; Bridgetown, Wellingtonbridge and Duncormick.
Poor visibility but flooding at Bridgetown on Christmas Day seen from the cockpit of Rescue 117 Coast Guard Helicopter.
“The motion that I presented also stated that flood alleviation measures should be actioned in the aforementioned villages immediately,” she added.
At the meeting, a graph was presented which showed that Johnstown Castle experienced its highest level of rainfall over a 24-hour period on Christmas Day 2021 since records began in the 1940’s.
“This weather event caused considerable damage to homes, businesses and roads and it is vitally important that we take necessary action now to prevent what was experienced in the Rosslare District on Christmas Day from happening again.
“I would encourage all home-owners and businesses affected to apply for aid through the schemes that have been opened by the government as soon as possible”, Cllr. McDonald concluded.
The winter woes of 1947 are part of Wexford lore and whenever there is a significant weather event it is inevitable that 1947 will be the base line for measurement, however, it is official where intensive rainfall is concerned – 24 hours on Christmas Day was the heaviest downfall in living memory and slightly greater than 1947.
This information emerged after a tsunami of facts, figures and detail were presented at a Special Meeting of Wexford County Council held with Microsoft Teams today to discuss the damage and hardship caused across the county and to take action to get roads and bridges reopened and to protect the general welfare of the county.
Reports and calls for assistance were heard from all the Cathaoirleach of the regions Cllr Cathal Byrne (Enniscorthy), Pip Breen (Gorey-Kilmuckridge), Bridín Murphy (New Ross), Jim Moore (Rosslare) and Mayor Garry Laffan (Wexford Borough), Carolyne Godkin, Director of Services for the Emergency Services, Eamonn Hore, Senior Roads Engineer and County Secretary David Minogue.
There was widespread support for all sections of Wexford County Council staff who gave up their Christmas family time to respond to what was happening. Chief Executive Officer Tom Enright also acknowledged the dedication of Council staff and the assistance of various local agencies who responded in a time of great fear and anxiety for many communities.
Mayor Laffan said many country roads were scoured and returned to a poor state. “Central Government needs to be involved,” he echoed, a call that was also brought to the table by other public representatives.
It was a very comprehensive presentation lasting more than three and a half hours – too much or WexfordLocal.com to condense into a single article so I am going to break it down to about half a dozen articles outlining a mixture of hardship and damage and suggested actions for the future –from now until the weekend.
Helicopter Rescue 117 on Christmas Day duty at Bridgetown village (Pic; Wexford County Council).
We begin with dark clouds over Wexford on Christmas Day and the rain starts to fall; A Yellow level rainfall from Met Eireann warned; “persistent rain on Christmas Day will give totals of 30 to 50m. This may cause localised flooding.”
The highest national rainfall accumulations were recorded in Wexford on 25th December 2021, with lower accumulations recorded generally in the rest of the country, highest in the east.
The 24-hour total rainfall observed of 58.9 mm at Johnstown Castle, is 54% of its monthly long-term average (1981-2010). However, this is the highest 24-hour rainfall total observed at this station in any December measured.
On Christmas Day at Johnstown Castle 58.9mm fell in 24 hours, however, 55.2mm fell in 12 hours and 34.7mm fell in six hours which indicates the severity of the rainfall in a concentrated time frame. This was a climate record in the 81.1 years of the metrological station at Johnstown Castle.
A graph is available that shows the rainfall values for each day of December 2021 at Johnstown versus previous December daily rainfall totals in the climate record in 81.1 years the station is open.
Mayglass Water Tower observed similar rainfall volumes over the period 24-25th December 2021. Countywide, rainfall volumes in excess of the above have been reported.
Significant flooding events were subsequently reported across County Wexford. Enniscorthy town as well as Bridgetown, Blackwater and Foulksmills, Duncormick villages were substantially flooded, with many other smaller areas across the county as well as single incident properties impacted due to flood water.
River and canal breaches as well as significant land run off to roads and property were reported across the county. It is estimated that approximately 100 individual properties have been damaged to some degree by flood water –with a large portion of farmland also significantly flooded.
N.B.; For anybody seeking further information detailed reports are available from Wexford County Council.
The heart-breaking final journey for Julieanne Kehoe, (29), takes place on Thursday with mid-day Mass in St. Patrick’s Church, Craanford and burial afterwards in the adjoining cemetery.
JULIEANNE KEHOE
A local mother of three was one of the three people killed in a horror head-on road traffic collision on the N52 beside the M3 Motorway in Kells, Co. Meath on New Year’s Eve.
Daughter of Geraldine and the late Jack Kehoe, Juileanne attended Craanford National School and is a former care worker at Castle Garden Nursing Home in Enniscorthy and held plans to marry her partner Dessie and they were building a new house in Baileborough, Co. Cavan.
Julieanne’s untimely and tragic death has generated tears and prayers across the wider community and deepest condolences are expressed to her family and friends. R.I.P.
FAMILY NOTICE; Beloved daughter of Geraldine and the late Jack, partner of Dessie Heery, (Bailieborough, Co Cavan) mother of Jack, Grace and Hannah and sister of Ger, Martina and Ciaran. Deeply regretted by her mother, partner, son, daughters, brothers, sister, sister-in-law, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, extended family, relatives and friends. May She Rest in Peace
Reposing at Murphy’s Funeral Home, The Avenue, Gorey on today Wednesday, from 3 pm until 7 pm. Funeral arriving to St. Patrick’s Church, Craanford on Thursday, for Funeral Mass at 12 noon followed by Burial in the adjoining Cemetery. Family Flowers only please. Donations, if desired, to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Drogheda, Children’s Unit. Social Distance Rules will apply in the Funeral Home, Church and Cemetery for the safety of the Family and all in attendance. Please wear face masks.
The family very much appreciate your support and co-operation during this very sad and difficult time.
Eleven-year-old Tommy Kehoe was one of approximately sixty swimmers who completed the fundraising challenge, 20 Dips in December, on the Little Beach in Kilmore Quay on New Year’s Eve in aid of Kilmore Quay RNLI.
The event was organised by three local ladies, Melinda Kehoe, Grainne O’Brien and Simmi Duffin, 20 Dips in December, saw local swimmers take part in, not one, but twenty sponsored swims in the sea during the month of December. The weather and sea conditions throughout the month were a key consideration for the swimmers.
Young fundraiserTOMMY KEHOE is saluted by the crew and friends of Kilmore Quay RNLI after the 20 Dips challenge. (Pic; RNLi/Elaine Walsh)
Even though there were some days where conditions did not allow for a dip, there were enough favourable days to allow for the challenge to be completed safely by the hardy swimmers. Not least of all by Melinda’s son Tommy who even fitted in a dip in the morning before school!
Despite the challenges of the pandemic, fundraising in aid of Kilmore Quay lifeboat has taken place throughout the year as COVID guidelines allowed. Dedicated supporters of the RNLI in the area have organised walks, swims, cycles, vintage runs, online bingo, and head shaves among other activities, raising vital funds to maintain the charity’s lifesaving services. Speaking following the final swim on Friday, Kilmore Quay RNLI Lifeboat Operations Manager John Grace, said: “There is a fantastic community spirit here today. Tommy has raised an incredible sum of money for the RNLI, as have all the participants. We cannot thank everyone who took part and all who support Kilmore Quay RNLI throughout the year enough for all their efforts and generosity.”