By Dan Walsh
Fans were evacuated onto the pitch at Chadwicks Wexford Park this evening delaying the throw-in of the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group A Round 1/Walsh Cup final after a small fire broke out in the main stand.
The start to the game was delayed by 15 minutes until the Fire Officer declared it safe for the waiting fans to enter the stadium and the match to go ahead.
Speaking to RTÉ News, CEO/Operations Manager of Wexford GAA Gavin Donovan said that smoke came out of a vent after an air-conditioning unit went on fire. The mains power in the stadium was out for a time as a result.
“There was only a small bit of smoke, and the air handling vent is damaged but there was no damage to the room that it was in. Nobody was hurt or injured as a result”, said Mr. Donovan, who praised the quick response of the emergency services.
The game got under way 15 minutes behind the scheduled starting time and victory went to the visitors. Final score; Galway 0-23 Wexford 0-15.