By Dan Walsh
The paint is dry, and the colour is inviting following extensive refurbishment works of heritage and conservation carried out by Tom O’Brien Construction and now completed at the historic Market House building in Enniscorthy’s Market Square.
This circa-1820’s Listed Building 3-storeys high with a 5-bay front has been completely transformed over the last number of months into a bright and modern offices for Enniscorthy Municipal District Council.
During the works the staff normally based in Market Square were working from the old Courthouse building, however, CEO Tom Enright, speaking at the November meeting of Wexford County Council informed the members that “We intend for the staff to move back into the Market Square building by the end of the month.”
HISTORY; Administration of local services in Enniscorthy first came into operation in January 1899, on the passing of a comprehensive Local Government Act which wiped out all previous systems and set up County Councils and Urban Councils. The first Enniscorthy Urban Council election took place on January 16th, 1899 and consisted of fifteen members.
Was Lord Portsmouth’s Market House in 1798, was vacant in 1901 and reconstructed in 1910-’11.
The old market house of two storeys was used for meetings, but it was soon considered unsuitable for purpose. So, alterations and extensions were completed, resulting in the provision of classrooms for the Technical Institute instruction, an Urban Council office and meeting chamber, with a weight room and stores underneath.
During the recent renovation works a window (probably a doorway originally) opening onto Wafer Street was uncovered and it has been tastefully added to the modern Market House, much to the admiration of the local history and heritage enthusiasts.