By Dan Walsh at Enniscorthy Castle
Enterprise & Determination; A history of the Irish Countrywomen’s Association (affectionately known as the ICA) is the title of a new exhibition that runs in Enniscorthy Castle until June.
Cutting the ribbon for the official launch last night was Breda Cahill, Chair of the Wexford Federation of ICA and Chair of the Climate Action and Sustainability Committee for ICA at national level.
Ms. Cahill spoke about the strength and determination shown by the women of the ICA through the years, but particularly in the 1950s and 60s when they embraced the rural electrification scheme and showed the way to progress and promoted a better standard of life for families.
Members of various guilds were in attendance to view the various panels illustrating the origins and development of the ICA since its first official meeting in Bree Hall on June 15th, 1910 and information on the founder Anita Lett. It was originally known as the United Irishwomen but changed its title to the United Irishwomen in 1934.
The ICA is the largest women’s association in Ireland, with circa 6,000 members and over 440 Guilds across the country. “We cook, travel, craft and socialise!” is their motto!
The aim of the ICA is to provide a welcoming and fun organisation which offers support, friendship, personal development, education and life-long learning.
Attendance at the opening reception included Cllr Aidan Browne, Cathaoirleach of Enniscorthy Municipal District Council, Cllrs Kathleen Codd-Nolan and Barbara-Anne Murphy and representatives of a number of guilds.
Mico Hassett, Manager at Enniscorthy Castle, welcomed everybody to the reception, thanked the ICA for participating in the exhibition and encouraged the public to come along and reflect on the existence of the ICA. The exhibition is on public display until June.